You may be surprised to know that over half of all patients admitted to trauma centers have orthopedic injuries—damage to their bones, joints, muscles, tendons, and ligaments.
These patients need the immediate attention of skilled orthopedic surgeons who evaluate and treat such severe injuries, and often perform extensive surgery to repair or reconstruct broken limbs or pelvic injuries.
Because of their expertise in trauma care, Spectrum Orthopaedics surgeons serve on the trauma staff at Maine Medical Center (MMC), the state’s only Level I Trauma Center, and Stephens Memorial Hospital, a Level II Trauma Center, treating some of the most critical and complex injuries in the state.
In addition, our orthopedic physicians play a vital role in providing 24/7 emergency surgery coverage to other hospitals in southern and central Maine, including Northern Light Mercy Hospital.
The conditions our trauma specialists treat
Spectrum’s trauma specialists see a broad range of orthopedic injuries, most commonly as a result of car accidents, work accidents and falls. These injuries include:
- Broken bones and joints, such as the leg, hip, and arm
- Stress fractures of the hand, wrist, foot and ankle
- Spinal fractures
- Crush injuries resulting in compound fractures
- Bone and joint dislocations
- Injuries to muscles, ligaments, tendons and cartilage
Why Maine’s trauma centers partner with Spectrum
Southern and Central Maine’s trauma centers choose to partner with Spectrum for orthopedic care because they know their patients are in good hands. We provide:
- Surgical expertise: Our orthopedic surgeons—many with subspecialty training in orthopedic trauma, hand surgery, and foot surgery—have the expertise that comes from treating hundreds of patients each year, and the experience to handle diverse and complex injuries
- Minimally invasive surgical skills: Whenever possible, we perform orthopedic and joint reconstruction surgery using less-invasive techniques such as arthroscopy—enabling patients to heal faster
- Seamlessly coordinated care: After an injury, patients may need physical therapy to regain strength and function; Spectrum’s orthopedic physicians work closely with physical therapists to develop personalized physical rehabilitation treatment programs for each patient