Certified hand therapists
The Spectrum Orthopaedics Hand Therapy Team is focused on rehabilitation of the hand, wrist, and elbow. They work closely with our orthopedic surgeons to assist in giving patients the very best possible outcomes and restoration of hand function. Therapy may include exercises and/or manipulation for stretching, joint mobilization, scar management, and support or advice about home care and activity for the hand.
Expert hand therapists
Our hand therapists specialize in conditions of the hand, wrist, and elbow.
Hand therapists can offer you:
- Treatment for everything from simple fingertip injuries to recovery from complex reattachments of hands or fingers
- Experts in custom splinting
- Providers who make your goals their goals: We aim to get you back to the activities you love the most as quickly as possible
Our certified hand therapists have at least 4,000 hours of experience treating hand, wrist and elbow conditions. They are all trained in physical or occupational therapy, and have passed a rigorous board exam.
- Activity plans designed to increase motion, dexterity, and strength; including exercises you can practice at home
- Daily living skills, including simulation to practice real-life hand tasks
- Compression therapy and edema management
- Desensitization, sensory re-education, and sensory compensation techniques
- Electrical stimulation, such as iontophoresis
- Therapeutic modalities for tissue and joint preconditioning and mobilization to minimize pain and stiffness
- Functional and ergonomic assessments and modifications
- Joint protection and energy conservation training
- Behavioral management
- Techniques and suggestions for assistive devices
- Manual therapy and massage techniques
- Splints and custom-made orthotics to help protect your hand after a surgery, immobilize it, correct an injury or deformity, etc
- Pain management
- Patient and family education
- Training for using prosthetics
- Scar tissue management
- Heat and cold treatments
- Wound care
- Sports taping
- Pre-employment lift assessments
- Dry needling (currently only offered for hand therapy in Brunswick)
Below are the common hand, wrist and elbow conditions that we treat.